Re: internationalization

   From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@mailbox.difi.unipi.it>
   Date: 12 May 1998 11:15:47 +0200

   Stan, what do you think?  Can we decide that UTF-8 + ISO-10646 is
   *the* xconq character set, and implement display when need arise?  I
   mean character set for strings only!  Identifiers etc. should remain
   plain ASCII.

I'm inclined in that direction, but I'd like to take a look at the MES
standard URL, perhaps other things if there are a couple recommended
ones.  I want to understand what has to happen to the code, which I
don't yet.

   It would be nice to have a mechanism to "translate" characters
   unavailable for some reason (unimplemented, font missing...), but this
   looks like a lot of "grunt" work.

Probably a good idea - you could require it as an nlang.c routine,
sort of a "reduce to ascii" procedure, like what people do when
writing Usenet articles.