Re: New Xconq Features

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Andrae Muys wrote:

> > Excellent point. A global treasury for each side (side->cash) would make
> > sense. For other materials, you could argue that they should not be as easy
> > to move as cash or ideas, so they should still be linked to specific units.
> >
> Actually I'd prefer to see a global "material per side" variable, and the
> ability for certain units to perform "material_unit_to_global" and
> "material_global_to_unit" actions to do the transfers.  It's probably
> worth considering generic approaches to automatic transfer of materials
> from global to unit stores, and visa-versa.

This seems like a closer model of the real thing, which should mean easier
implementation of different things games might want to do. This would make
it very easy to implement the idea that the side that captures a town gets
some money that happened to be in the town out of the opponents money
reserver (i.e., the money in the city which happened not to be
side-global-money at the moment, but was stored in that city).

Perhaps I am not very clear, but I hope you understand me.

I think this approach would make Xconq even more flexible, and it seems
relatively cheap (compared to networked game and improvements of GUI, both
crucial to the game IMHO).

I also think Michael M. Tiller's remarks on money/currency and
material/commodities are quite to the point and they stress the fact that
money and trade (i.e. economy) always enhance politics and make strategic
games deeper. But games (unlike life) are boring without war...

Jan Javorsek