Re: Combat

> > Now, concerted attacks and pressure from ground support and shore
> > bombardment could be simulated with an abstract material type
> > "pressure" (in want of a better name). A unit would lose "pressure" when
> > hit by an enemy unit and its combat rating would deteriorate. The
> > "pressure" would be renewed each turn (or not).
>
> An interesting idea, but I suspect hard to make useful.  One of the
> projects I'd like to do is to define "concerted attacks" as a distinct
> type of action and add a notion of attack and defense strengths a la
> boardgames.  These would be available as an alternative to hit-chance
> & damage tables.  I think these would be easier to explain to players
> than subtle effects derived from abstract materials.

Attack and defense strengths would be lovely for sequential gameplay but
how would they suit games where everybody moves simultaneously? While
you're busy clicking on all the units you want in a concerted attack,
your enemy has already either made short work of half of them or fled
:).

Should movement and combat phases be (optionally) separated, with combat
being resolved at the end of each turn (a la boardgames; could display
arrows next to attacking units)? That would be really cool.

--
Sami Perttu                       "Flower chase the sunshine"
perttu@cc.helsinki.fi