Re: snapshot 7.1.90

   From: Massimo Campostrini <campo@ipifidpt.difi.unipi.it>
   Date: 17 Mar 1997 17:44:56 +0100

   The fact that terrains look different in the panner and on the main
   map never troubled me ;-)

I got confused several times, probably because I'm not a brilliant
physicist... :-)

   I tried to look into this, but I really don't know what to do.  For
   large maps, it comes down to 1 hex -> 1 pixel, so we need a solid
   color for terrains.  Maybe the problem was that some colors matched
   poorly with the terrain pixmaps.  One could compute the arithmetic
   average of terrain pixmap colors and paint that in the panner, but I
   don't think it would be any better that what we had.

The "right" way to do this is to use the rendering code that is used
for maps.  If a terrain has only a pattern, it tiles with that pattern.
I've implemented this partway, and it seems to work so far; it renders
into a server-side pixmap instead of building a client-side image, so
there may be performance issues that I haven't run into yet.  This will
also make it work for B/W and other cases that the existing code has
trouble with.

   If enough people ask him, Stan could reconsider? ;-)
   Well, maybe not a `color' terrain property, that was misplaced.
   But what about putting a "solid" 1x1 "image" in an image family?

Yes, all the standard terrain tiles are getting 1x1 images that are
the main color in the pattern.  I've done some for testing purposes,
it would be very helpful if someone were to add a full set to terrain.imf
and send that in.