Re: Introduction and questions

Anthony Veale' writes:

 > I think I would be.  I'm going to be using the most recent version of
 > gcc at first (for the best reason of all-- $$$).

Well DICE was actually free, if you didn't need the system libraries.
I think Dillon charged registration fees mainly to cover the license
for the Commodore libraries.

If I remember, the gcc version either didn't get close to working, or
the executable leaked system memory every time it ran.  My
recollection does not serve me well, but I might have written a note
about it.

Anyway, if you have ftp access, I could put it up on my ISP's server,
ftp://www.mindspring.com/~milesd.  Confirm that you can ftp -- or
suggest an alternative way of transferring the sources -- by sending
mail to milesd@mindspring.com, but I will be fairly busy this weekend.

 > The truly bizarre thing is that unlike when Commodore went down there
 > is a company that Escom/Amiga Tech licensed to produce and sell Amigas
 > and they are still in production and for sale.  They are one of the
 > bidders for AT.  I guess they want to avoid any legal hassles from
 > selling hardware for themselves that sorta technically belongs to AT.

Well, it strikes me that the ability to produce Amigas was the major
asset that made Commodore worth buying.  Licenses are contracts that
don't usually get revoked by a buy-out, but it might be harder to
renegotiate or extend the license if someone else owns the company
(and, say, wanted to make the money that you were making producing the
machines).