Re: Any rescue other than recompiling the kernel when the kernel function is inlined?

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Shiyao Ma <i@introo.me> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since the to-be monitored kernel is on production machines, so it's
> impossible to recompile the kernel with more debug info and install on
> the machines.

This is not because of "inline" - DWARF contains debug information for
all occurrences of the inline calls and theoretically STAP could place
breakpoints in all such places. The problem is that due to a
compilation flag there is no debug information for the specific inline
function in the specific kernel build (if my understanding is
correct).
> Any other way to monitor on the ".return" of an inlined kernel function?

My best advice is to try to look for alternative places in the code to
place a breakpoint.