Re: Problem with vfs probe on Proxmox kernel

On 01/26/2017 03:26 PM, Adam Guderski wrote:

... stuff deleted ...

>> Based on the paths stored when compiling your kernel, systemtap is
>> looking for the vmlinux file in '/lib/modules/4.4.35-2-pve/build/'.
>> Obviously it isn't there. Can you search around and see if you can find
>> it and link it to its proper place?
>
> I can't find it (find / -type f -name '*vmlinux*'). When I compiled from
> source, I noticed this lines in Makefile for Proxmox VE kernel:
>
> # strip debug info
> find tmp/lib/modules -name \*.ko -print | while read f ; do strip
> --strip-debug "$$f"; done
>
> I thought that when I comment this out my kernel will have debug info
> compiled into it.

That line you commented out is stripping debuginfo from kernel modules
(*.ko), not the kernel itself.

> Interestingly, the config file for my kernel says that
> CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is enabled:
>
> # grep  DEBUG_INFO /boot/config-4.4.35-2-pve
> CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
> # CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_REDUCED is not set
> # CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_SPLIT is not set
> CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_DWARF4=y

I'd guess you missed another line in the Proxmox kernel Makefile where
it strips debuginfo from the kernel itself.

What does "file" say on the kernel you built?

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com