Re: Why probe nfsd.proc.read and probe nfsd.read are not executed ?

On 09/09/2016 12:12 AM, FOPA Leon constantin wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have setup a simple nfs server for only one client and I am interested
> about logging all operations (performed by the client) executed by the
> nfs daemon (nfsd in the server side).
>
> So I used the systemtap nfsd tapset
> (https://sourceware.org/systemtap/man/tapset::nfsd.3stap.html) as shown
> in the code (see below).
>
> The problem is that when I run this systemtap code and perform file
> operation in the nfs mount point in the client,
> every probe are execute but NOT the probe nfsd.proc.read and probe
> nfsd.read.
>
> Is there a reason for this ? Am I missing something ?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Fopa Léon Constantin
>

> probe begin{
>       printf("Let play with nfsd ...\n")
> }
>
> probe nfsd.dispatch {
>   printf("hello nfsd.dispatch occured\n")
> }
>
> probe nfsd.proc.write {
>   printf("hello nfsd.proc.write occured\n")
> }
>
> probe nfsd.proc.read {
>   printf("hello nfsd.proc.read occured\n")
> }
>
> probe nfsd.proc.rename {
>   printf("hello nfsd.proc.rename occured\n")
> }
>
> probe nfsd.proc.remove {
>   printf("hello nfsd.proc.remove occured\n")
> }
>
> probe nfsd.unlink {
>   printf("hello nfsd.unlink occured\n")
> }
>
> probe nfsd.read {
>   printf("hello nfsd.read occured\n")
> }
>
> probe end{
>       printf("That was fun ...\n")
> }

Here's what I see when I run the following on the nfs server system:

# stap -e 'probe nfsd.entries, nfsd.proc.entries { printf("%s
occurred\n", name) }'
nfsd.open occurred
nfsd.open occurred
nfsd.proc4.read occurred
nfsd.open occurred
nfsd.proc4.read occurred

On the client system I did an 'ls', followed by using 'cat' to display 2
different files on an NFS partition mounted from the NFS server that
systemtap is running on.

Try my script and see what you get doing similar operations.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com