Re: feature request: DWARF-based sizeof(), array_size(), typeof()

On 03/17/2015 04:22 PM, Stephane Chazelas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> recently, I found myself needing to loop over the elements of a
> kernel array
> (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29034267/get-size-of-target-array-in-systemtap)
>
> Though there are ways to get that information (parse symdata(),
> use C code relying on internal APIs), none of them are
> straighforward or ideal.
>
> It would be nice if operators like sizeof(addr) (to retrieve the
> size of a symbol at a given address) and array_size(addr) (to
> retrieve the number of elements if that is an array). be added
> to systemtap.
>
> A typeof() one could be nice as well (especially if we can
> combine it with @cast).
>
> What do you think?

It is an interesting idea, although since that really isn't my area of
expertise I'm not sure how easy/possible those operators would be.

I filed PR18191 on your idea so we won't lose it. Please CC yourself on
that bug.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com