testing on amazon ec2 ami linux

Hi -

Out of curiosity, and preparing for a networked systemtap
demonstration, I tried out Amazon's AWS EC2 service.  They small
virtual machines for nearly-free and big ones for more $$.  I tried
out just the freebie ones[1] for now, and these run Amazon AMI Linux,
a custom linux distribution similar to RHEL-6, but with a newer
kernel.

I tried out the 2011.02.1 beta.  It turns out this distro is
well-stocked with everything a systemtap cloud experimenter may want:
yum access to development tools, debuginfo repositories, utrace in the
kernel, and a build of systemtap-1.4 itself.

Except for one bug[2], everything just works & fast, even perhaps fun.

- FChE

[1] http://aws.amazon.com/free/
[2] The kernel-debuginfo packages have a build bug resulting in
accidentally stripping the vmlinux file, so kernel.function probes
don't work, but this is being fixed as we speak.