Re: [RFC] SystemTap future direction

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 19:34 +0900, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > I don't know if these users and kernel hackers hang out at the same
> > conferences. But there have been some blog posts by people using
> > systemtap for these kind of static markers in gnome libraries:
> > http://tecnocode.co.uk/2010/07/13/reference-count-debugging-with-systemtap/
> > http://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2010/01/04/tracing-glib/
>
> Hm, these are very interesting stories.
> We should let kernel people know that application people already start
> using systemtap/dtrace in there developing process.

I thought that was already widely known. But perhaps not. Personally I
am using systemtap much more for user space obervability than for any
kernel stuff. Just because I am mainly a user space hacker.

Some other stories of people using systemtap for normal user space
introspection that I could find with a quick search:

- Postgresql:
http://www.fosslc.org/drupal/content/probing-postgresql-dtrace-and-systemtap

- Mysql:
http://assets.en.oreilly.com/1/event/36/Monitoring%20Drizzle%20or%
20MySQL%20With%20DTrace%20and%20SystemTap%20Presentation.pdf

- Mozilla:
http://blog.mozilla.com/tglek/2009/10/23/studying-library-io-systemtap-style/
http://blog.mozilla.com/tglek/2010/07/22/file-fragmentation/
http://blog.mozilla.com/tglek/2010/05/24/teethig-troubles-assigning-blame-for-pagefaults/