Using the systemtap configure script on Ubuntu 9.04

Hello,

   I am running Ubuntu 9.04 on my PC which is running the LTIB software that
 generates ARM code for our embedded system. I have modified our kernel with
 the right configurations for systemtap. I now need to compile the systemtap
 application on my PC, then port to the embedded ARM using a serial port consol.

 I am following the directions on the site: http://omappedia.org/wiki/Systemtap
 this web site says:

    "In order to compile the tool and scripts, elfutils package shall be available on the host.
    elfutils 0.143 package can be downloaded from following location [5]
    No need to install elfutils on the host; only the untar'ed file is required."

   so is elfutils required?  line 1 says yes, line 3 says no ???

 From my compile environment on the PC, I attempt to run ./configure to generate
 the proper make files and get the following error message:

[IMX BUILD]> cd systemtap-1.2/
[IMX BUILD]> ./configure
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... configure: error: in `/home/gkosteva/SVN_trunk/embedded/celiav1/imx31/stage/systemtap-1.2':
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details.
[IMX BUILD]>

Any ideas how/why the configure script is not working?
Thanks.