Re: systemTap 1.0 CROSS COMPILE

Hi -

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 06:23:18PM +0530, naresh kamboju wrote:
> > Try instead
> > .../configure --target=arm... --prefix=... --with-elfutils=... --disable-translator
>
> I have tried in different ways to cross compile using installed
> /usr/local/arm tool chain.
> However, the stap and staprun are created in X86 format again.

Right, modern autoconf likes to have "--build=HOST --host=TARGET"
instead of "--target=TARGET" like the older ones did.  Anyway, just
having tried this, systemtap's autoconf stuff is not set up properly
for this style of cross-compilation (it fails during one of the
configure file-existence checks).  It may not be a big job to fix it.

In any case, you need far more than a cross gcc to make this work.
You need a full toolchain including cross ld, cross glibc, and cross
any other libraries that staprun may need to link to.  (I'm assuming
you'd only ever try the --disable-translator cross build.)  And you'll
need a cross-configured kernel build tree to build kernel modules
against.

You should consider building staprun natively on the arm box.