Re: A question on PPC32

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 14:41 +0530, Ananth N Mavinakayanahalli wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 08:11:29AM +0800, chen HJ wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Thanks for your response, can you provide any more detailed steps
> > about how to make systemTap work on PPC32?
>
> On first glance, additions/modifications would be required to
> runtime/regs.c runtime/regs.h runtime/string.h runtime/copy.c
>
> Look for all instances of arch specific code in the above files and
> you'll need to add or modify existing stubs for it to work on powerpc.
>
> Further, you'll need to build and run SystemTap to determine if any
> other changes would be needed for ppc32 enablement.
>
> Ananth

You'll probably need to add a "ppc" subdirectory* to the tapset
directory, with registers.stp and syscalls.stp.  (*I don't have a ppc32
box handy.  I think that the subdirectory name is supposed to match
whatever "uname -m" reports.)

If you want to probe functions in user-space programs -- e.g.,
    probe process("myprog").function("myfunc") { ... }
you'll need to port uprobes.  This probably means cloning and/or editing
runtime/uprobes/uprobes_ppc64.{c,h}, and making the obvious changes to
uprobes_arch.{c,h} in runtime/uprobes and runtime/uprobes2.  In case
it's not clear what the functions and macros in uprobes_ppc64.{c,h} are
supposed to do, I can mail you the uprobes porting guide.

Jim Keniston