Re: SystemTap release 0.9.8

(CC list trimmed to just systemtap...)

On 06/12/2009 01:28 PM, Diego Calleja wrote:
> On Viernes 12 Junio 2009 03:03:01 Josh Stone escribiÃ:
>> The SystemTap team proudly announces release 0.9.8.
>
> OK, I've been trying to run sucesfully systemtap for months, and
> I have never been able to run even the example scripts, there's
> always something that breaks. So I must be doing something wrong,
> or there's something wrong somewhere. Here's the detailed output
> or a failure (happens with any example script):

Thanks for the detailed output - I hope we can figure this out.

> (PD: since systemtap seems to be affected by changes in the kernel version,
> are you planning to include systemtap in the linus tree, now that he thinks
> that merging in the kernel tree userspace tools closely related to the
> kernel is a good thing?)

Having the perf tool in-tree seems to be a bit of an experiment, which
has already met some objection.  I expect a large C++ such as ours would
be seen even less favorably.

> # sudo bin/stap -vvv share/doc/systemtap/examples/network/tcp.stp
> SystemTap translator/driver (version 0.9.8/0.131 commit release-0.9.8-0-ge1774a7)
> Copyright (C) 2005-2009 Red Hat, Inc. and others
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> Session arch: x86_64 release: 2.6.30
> Created temporary directory "/tmp/stappAJDNk"
> Searched '/home/diego/cÃdigo/systemtap/binarios/share/systemtap/tapset/x86_64/*.stp', found 3
> Searched '/home/diego/cÃdigo/systemtap/binarios/share/systemtap/tapset/*.stp', found 51
[...]
> /tmp/stappAJDNk/stap_81fde145f94951b89c4fc6f9e2a1c96f_3784.c:232:18: error: octal escape sequence out of range

I suspect that we may have an issue with escaping the non-ASCII
characters in your path.  I tried to recreate your path though, and it
still worked for me.  It may still be some other locale issue though.

The '-k' option will cause stap to leave the tmp directory in place
after it's done.  Can you collect that .c file and attach it for us to see?

Thanks,

Josh