Re: Fwd: staprun-only system

Mike Anderson wrote:
> David Smith <dsmith@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Assuming you are using an rpm-based system, here's what you should do.
>> Install your distro-supplied 'systemtap-runtime' rpm on the target system.
>>
>> If you want the latest .git version, you would do something like the
>> following on your build system:
>>
>> 1.) Pull latest systemtap git tree.
>> 2.) Generate tar file from git tree
>> 3.) Run rpmbuild on the tar file and spec file.  Something like:
>>     # rpmbuild --define "_topdir `pwd`" --define "_sourcedir `pwd`" -bb
>> systemtap.spec
>> 4.) Copy RPMS/{ARCH}/systemtap-runtime-*.rpm to the target system
>> 5.) Install the systemtap-runtime rpm on the target system.
>> 6.) Install RPMS/{ARCH}/systemtap-* rpms on the build system (minus the
>> debuginfo rpm and probably the testsuite rpm)
>>
>> Now you have matching systemtap versions on both your build and target
>> systems.
>>

> Thanks for the response. While this is an option I was trying to avoid
> setting up build environments matching all the test machines that I have.
> The test systems may be of more than one distro type and library versions.

You might be making more work for yourself in trying to avoid setting up
build environments.  Besides setting up actual machines to match all
your environments, there are other options of mock or virtual machines.

>> If you aren't using an rpm-based system, I'd basically mimic what the
>> spec file does.  Configure and build, then copy the files mentioned in
>> the '%files runtime' section over to the target system.
>
> In my previous example my configure and make steps where pretty close to
> the what the spec file is doing. Copying the runtime files over to the
> target system assumes that they are like enough that the commands will
> run.

I'm confused.  Are you only building once and then deploying on multiple
target platforms?

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com