Re: Fwd: staprun-only system

Jim Keniston wrote:
> Here's email from Mike Anderson, an IBMer who has been using SystemTap
> for some time.  As indicated, the staprun-only build is not working for
> him as desired, and he has taken considerable pains to work around the
> failures he sees.
>
> I'm forwarding this with his permission in hopes that someone can give
> him some guidance.
>
> Thanks.
> Jim

... steps deleted ...

Assuming you are using an rpm-based system, here's what you should do.
Install your distro-supplied 'systemtap-runtime' rpm on the target system.

If you want the latest .git version, you would do something like the
following on your build system:

1.) Pull latest systemtap git tree.
2.) Generate tar file from git tree
3.) Run rpmbuild on the tar file and spec file.  Something like:
    # rpmbuild --define "_topdir `pwd`" --define "_sourcedir `pwd`" -bb
systemtap.spec
4.) Copy RPMS/{ARCH}/systemtap-runtime-*.rpm to the target system
5.) Install the systemtap-runtime rpm on the target system.
6.) Install RPMS/{ARCH}/systemtap-* rpms on the build system (minus the
debuginfo rpm and probably the testsuite rpm)

Now you have matching systemtap versions on both your build and target
systems.

If you aren't using an rpm-based system, I'd basically mimic what the
spec file does.  Configure and build, then copy the files mentioned in
the '%files runtime' section over to the target system.

--
David Smith
dsmith@redhat.com