Re: registration error + probe overhead exceeded threshold error.....

Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@gmail.com> writes:

> While stap my script, i got the following errors - can someone explain why?
>
> error 1:   registration error
> error 2:   ERROR: probe overhead exceeded threshold
>
> WARNING: probe module("kvm").function("kvm_vcpu_init@arch/x86/kvm/../../../virt/kvm/kvm_main.c:617").call
> registration error (rc -22)

This can occur normally for functions marked with init/exit/kprobes
types of annotations.  It could occur abnormally for other functions,
but the message doesn't help clarify (PR 10075).

> [...]
> ERROR: probe overhead exceeded threshold

This means that a bunch of probes were in fact registered and
activated, but they are taking so long to run that overload-detection
logic was triggered.  See the stap.1 man page for tuning or disabling
the thresholds.