Re: systemtap compilation errors

Peter Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:27 AM, William Cohen <wcohen@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Peter Teoh wrote:
>>> Thank you Ananth and William.     Since documentation is not critical
>>> to successful compilation, but currently is a show-stopper during
>>> compilation, can we shift the making of documentation to the end
>>> during the make process?
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I haven't seen a problem in building the tutorial documentation before. What
>> distribution are you building systemtap on and what version of latex and related
>> tools are installed?  Does the tutorial.dvi file look okay? reasonable size?
>> What does the portion of the build output look like that is in the doc directory
>> (the section generating tutorial.dvi)?
>>
>> -Will
>>

> Even after make clean i still keep getting the error (FedoraCore10, x86_64):
>
> make=====>
> /bin/sh ./git_version.sh -k -s . -o git_version.h
> git_version.sh: Not a git repo, keeping existing git_version.h
> make  all-recursive
> make[1]: Entering directory `/sdb1/download/systemtap/systemtap'
> Making all in doc
> /sdb1/download/systemtap/systemtap/doc
> make[2]: Entering directory `/sdb1/download/systemtap/systemtap/doc'
> Making all in SystemTap_Tapset_Reference
> /sdb1/download/systemtap/systemtap/doc/SystemTap_Tapset_Reference
> make[3]: Entering directory
> `/sdb1/download/systemtap/systemtap/doc/SystemTap_Tapset_Reference'
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/sdb1/download/systemtap/systemtap/doc/SystemTap_Tapset_Reference'
> make[3]: Entering directory `/sdb1/download/systemtap/systemtap/doc'
> dvips -t letter -o tutorial.ps tutorial.dvi
> This is dvips(k) 5.96.1 Copyright 2007 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
> ' TeX output 2008.06.26:2126' -> tutorial.ps
> dvips: ! unexpected eof on DVI file
> make[3]: *** [tutorial.ps] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/sdb1/download/systemtap/systemtap/doc'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/sdb1/download/systemtap/systemtap/doc'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/sdb1/download/systemtap/systemtap'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>

> Anyway I have three other machine all having no problem...(2FC10,
> 1FC9).....I guess it is nothing to do with systemtap.
>
> Will ignore it for the moment.   Thank you for the support!!!!

It is sounding like there is something odd on that F10 machine. I am building
things on a x86_64 F10 machine without problems.  Is that the complete output of
the "make" above? It would be useful to see how the tutorial.dvi is being
created. One thought is that you might try to build the rpm on the machine to
see if there is some rpm package missing. You can get the official f10 srpm from:

-Will