Re: [RFC][Patch 0/2] New Probe family : probe kprobe.function()

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:48:43PM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> Prerna Saxena <prerna@linux.vnet.ibm.com> writes:
>
> To what extent does the kernel's symbolic kprobe logic allow probes to
> be placed within modules?

There is no difference in logic between probes in modules vs. those in
kernel - both just work since the kallsyms_lookup_name() calls into
module_kallsyms_lookup_name() if the symbol wasn't resolved in the
kernel.

However, namespace clashes are allowed in modules. AFAICS if there is a
namespace clash, the first resolved address is returned. To mitigate
this, one can use <module>:<symbol>.

>  Would it be worthwhile to allow numeric
> probe addresses (as in kernel.statement(0xaddr).absolute)?

That would be even more straightforward I think - just set the emitted
kp.addr = 0xaddr

Ananth