RE: Debug code enabled on Systemtap verison: 0.8?

Buddy Lumpkin wrote:
> Sorry if this is a duplicate, I already sent this once to
> systemtap@sourceware.org, re-sending to systemtap@sources.redhat.com.

Those are aliases for the same list.

> I have a guru mode script that uses a combination of the systemtap
> language and inline C. Upon upgrading to systemtap 0.8, I noticed an
> extra message being printed from my scripts output. I assume it is
> extra debugging of the code interpreter?
>
> This is the extra line that is printed:
>
> node_addr=0x0
>
> There is a global variable called node_addr in my script. A small
> adjustment to some code made the message go away:

We automatically print out global variables that are write-only.  This is for convenience so you don't need to write a "probe end { print(...) }" every time.

Inside your "if" condition, the result of an assignment is just the RHS value again, so your "node_addr" variable is never actually being read.  Therefore, a "probe end" is generated to print it for you.

If this is the only place you're using node_addr, then why have it as a global?

Josh