Re: some questions about systemtap

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Frank Ch. Eigler <fche@redhat.com> wrote:

> "Peter Teoh" <htmldeveloper@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> [...]
>> but for time measurement...u need another tool, possibly some network
>> benchmarking tool. [...]
>
> Why do you think so?  A systemtap script can easily take timestamps at
> various points, and perform individual or aggregate computations on them.

Of course, stap's command line has the benchmark timestamp option, and
within the stp script you can quote your own timestamp as well....but
perhaps what I meant to say was that if u used some special tools,
everything is pre-written for you.....involving all the different ways
of looking/generating the statistics.   If every other people is also
using that particular tool, then your statistics can easily be
compared with others, without the effort of regenerating the
statistics.

But then there may be other caveats I am not aware of......comments?

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh

Ernest Hemingway - "Never mistake motion for action."