Re: Systemtap Eclipse Editor

anithra wrote:
Hi Phil,

Too see if that project is still being maintained, and if there is some useful crossover. So if you folks are around, lets talk. Too be sure I want this editor to remain firmly a part of the Eclipse IDE and not a RCP application.
The SystemTapGUI project was shelved for a while, but we are now looking to revive it. We are working on a client-server version of the GUI and hope to release it soon. The IDE does contain probe completion and syntax highlighting but not code folding. Like you were saying on IRC, we could probably merge the features of both and import your IDE plugin into the SystemTap GUI rather than maintaining duplicate code.

Thanks for the email, and status update!

What I plan to do is host the editor on the Linux Distributions Project over on Eclipse.org as an upstream solution. Then when your team is ready to revive the UI project, we can look at how they integrate. I suspect they will just drop in. Long term plans are to include an Eclipse Project feature with the editor, to provide editing/project support in the Eclipse IDE. My goal then is to provide Systemtap support to the Eclipse IDE. This deviates a bit from the Systemap UI project with a stand-alone application, but there is plenty of cross-over from a common code base, so this is good. I don't plan to hack on execution analysis, running or life cycle management, so I think there will be a common source base with the editing functionality only.

I just wrote up rudimentary non-recursive code-folding this evening (at depth 0). Also the code completion meta-data is generated dynamically with stap -L coverage output. So there might be interesting stuff you could use right now. I'll post back here when it gets hosted and you can check out the code.

Regards

Phil