Re: what does 'probe process(PID_OR_NAME).clone' mean?

> > > Yes, that makes sense for the script level.
> >
> > Why does it make sense for .begin to mean this, in contrast to what global
> > begin probes mean?
>
> Because these are process-begin and process-end probes.  If we
> restrict PID-identified probes to pre-existing processes, then
> process(PID).begin probes would not get called and might as well not
> be supported by the syntax.
>
> > You did not really say anything at all about the whole issue I raised.
>
> Sorry, I must have missed it.

The two different quoted bits from you seem to say contradictory things.
So I think we were confused.  I don't think it matters to figure out what
we thought we were saying.  It doesn't even much matter to me exactly what
any of us thinks the systemtap syntax is or what it actually does today.
I think I've established that my whole "tracing group" model of things
will fit well to supply a vocabulary in which to describe systemtap
features.  I hope some discussions starting on utrace-devel@redhat.com
will lead to formalizing that vocabulary and starting to put together
some code that systemtap will one day reuse.

Thanks,
Roland