Re: inline documentation syntax

<quote sender="Martin Hunt">
> On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 11:49 -0500, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
[...]
> > One reason for that is because we want the impending "listing"
> > function (stap -l 'syscall.*') to produce informative data, such as:
> >
> >    syscall.read (syscalls.stp:55:33) - alias to kernel.function("sys_read")
> >         fd - numeric file descriptor
> >         buf_uaddr - user-space buffer pointer, use user_buffer()
> >         count - number of bytes
> >         argstr - formatted argument string
>
> I think I'd rather see "stap -l" print a list of matching probes. That's
> useful information by itself and having it mixed in with full
> documentation makes it confusing to parse. Maybe then "stap -ll" would
> give full documentation. Possibly by passing the  probe name to a script
> that simply fetched the information from some previously generated
> documentation or doc tool.

Nice. How about adding "stap -lt" to list all available tapsets, and
then "stap -lt <tapset>" to list all matching probes belonging to the
tapset. Additional information about the variables will be very helpful.

Also, is it possible to have variable aliases, like arg0, arg1, arg2, etc?
This is useful if one wants to write a GUI for SystemTap.

Thanks,
Eugene