Re: patches to actually use markers?

* David Smith (dsmith@redhat.com) wrote:
> David Smith wrote:
> > Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:

> >> Hi David,
> >>
> >> Yes, we have something similar in LTTng, we instrument many widely used
> >> system calls to get the detailed arguments.

> >> It's a good thing that we start having a discussion about these marker
> >> sites at this point.
> >>
> >> Mathieu
>
> I've been looking at your system call tracing patches.  (I've tried
> running lttv itself without much luck, but it doesn't really matter for
> the sake of this discussion.)
>
> I like the way you use the existing system call tracing points.  So
> we're on the same page, here are the markers I'm seeing in
> arch/x86/kernel/ptrace32.c after applying
> patch-2.6.24-rc2-lttng-0.10-pre23.tar.bz2:
>
>   trace_mark(kernel_arch_syscall_entry, "syscall_id %d ip #p%ld",
> 			(int)regs->orig_eax, instruction_pointer(regs));
>
>   trace_mark(kernel_arch_syscall_exit, MARK_NOARGS);
>
> For systemtap use, we'd like to have more information than that.  On
> syscall entry, we'd like be able to get the arguments,  On syscall exit,
> we'd like the to be able to get the return value.  In fact, the easiest
> thing would be to supply the same information that audit_syscall_entry()
> and audit_syscall_exit() need.
>
> Since I'll bet you've already considered this, I'd like to know why you
> decided to go a different way.

Well, the approach taken was to instrument each important system call in
the syscall specific function to be able to actually know what type of
information to record. For instance, if ebx points to a string, the
pointer is not very useful, but the string is.

You have a good point for the syscall exit instrumentation : adding the
return value is trivial and would be very useful.

Could we do better ?

--
Mathieu Desnoyers