RE: Tests that require 'modprobe <module>'

Mike Mason wrote:
> I'd like to add some tests that require certain modules be inserted
> (specifically nfs & rpc).  Where's the best place in the test
> framework to do modprobe?

First, using 'modprobe' requires root access.  Most of 'make
installcheck' only needs the stapdev group, with the exception of a few
tests that use sudo.  I would like to see us reduce the root requirement
more...

But anyway, a test requiring specific modules is bound to be fragile.
What happens if that module was instead built into the kernel, or not
built at all?  Or if it is a module and you successfully load it, it
clearly wasn't in use, so how can you test any probes within?

Can you instead write your test to gracefully skip if the module isn't
present?  (It shouldn't record a failure...)

Josh