FW: [BUG] Fwd: segfault : modprobe dccp_probe/tcp_probe

FYI

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org
[mailto:linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org] On Behalf Of Ian McDonald
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 4:13 PM
To: Chuck Ebbert
Keshavamurthy, Anil S; David S. Miller; Patrick Andrieux; DCCP Mailing
List; jbeulich@novell.com
Subject: Re: [BUG] Fwd: segfault : modprobe dccp_probe/tcp_probe

On 6/7/07, Chuck Ebbert <cebbert@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06/06/2007 04:47 PM, Ian McDonald wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > We've seen a report of a problem with dccp_probe as shown below. The
> > user has also verified that it occurs in tcp_probe as well. This is
on
> > Dave Miller's tree but that currently tracks Linus' tree quite
> > closely. I do note that it is around 2.6.22-rc2 timeframe so there
is
> > a possibility fixes may have gone in since.
> >

> It faulted when it tried to write the breakpoint instruction into the
> running kernel's executable code. Apparently the kernel code is now
marked
> read-only?

Yes it would appear to be the case as user has CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA
set. Patrick - can you turn this off and retest? It's under Kernel
Hacking, Write protect kernel read only data structures.

The list of commits that I see around this are at:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux%2Fkernel%2Fgit%2Ftorvalds%2Flinux-2.6.git
&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=DEBUG_RODATA

I suspect it's probably one of the latter ones giving the timing.

I guess there are a couple of solutions here - either make kprobes
conflict with CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA so you can do one or the other, or
look into more detail what access kprobes need.

Ian
--
Web: http://wand.net.nz/~iam4/
Blog: http://iansblog.jandi.co.nz