Problem in making kprobe modules portable.

I have  ppc64 system with RHEL5 installed on it. Looks like data symbols
in  kernel image is missing, I could see only text symbols.
====================
[root@llm27lp1 ~]# cat /proc/kallsyms | grep do_fork
c00000000006283c T .do_fork
==============================
But if data symbols were included, then it looks like this
llm27lp2:~ # cat /proc/kallsyms |grep do_fork
c00000000005de28 T .do_fork
c0000000005fbe88 D do_fork

 Due to this,one has to add "." before symbol name in kprobe module for
ppc64 and hence kprobe module has become unportable across the architecture.

Please let me know why data symbols have been removed from kernel image.

Thanks
 Srinivasa DS