Re: alloc.c:66: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...'

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> >  newbie alert here.  i'm trying to run one of the simple examples for
> > systemtap and i'm getting precisely the error described here:
> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/systemtap/2006-q4/msg00428.html
> > [...]
>
> Yeah, this is a known bug, corrected in ... wait for it ... CVS.
> We're planning to package fedora updates only a couple of weeks from
> now.
> If you're up for a little bit of adultery (and, running a fresh git
> kernel, surely you are!), try building systemtap out of CVS.

ok, just to summarize, i grabbed the latest systemtap CVS, and did

  $ ./configure
  $ make

(after installing elfutils-devel, which was the only elfutils-related
package that was missing on my FC6 system.)

now, i'm assuming that if i "make install", that's going to overwrite
my currently-installed RPMs for systemtap and systemtap-runtime so, to
keep my RPM database clean, would it make sense to first remove those
two RPMs (nothing seems to depend on them), *then* do the make
install?

(am i right in assuming that building and installing systemtap from
scratch is exactly equivalent to installing those two packages?)

thanks.

rday