RE: Anyone tried SystemTap with the latest RHEL5 Beta refresh

> varap wrote:
> > fche wrote:
> > [...]
> > >Unfortunately, other customers prefer that systemtap's loose
> > >dependencies (particularly, the kernel-debuginfo) not be
> installed by
> > >default, even if they choose an "install everything" option at the
> > >anaconda screens.  [..]
>
> > O.k, before i think of a way to satisfy both the needs i need to
> > understand the objection of the other group.
>
> > The objection of other customers to not to install
> debuginfo package is
> > it because of wasted disk space due to large size of
> debuginfo package
> > or time to install or something else.
>
> All those, plus the manual way in which RHEL debuginfo packages are at
> present published.
>
> > I am assuming kernel debuginfo is considered a dependency for
> > SystemTap, am I right?
>
> It is a loose dependency, in that the RPM does not list it as such
> (any more), and that it is theoretically possible to run some scripts
> without kprobes, and thus without dwarf data.
>
> > What is the point of installing a package that doesn't work due to
> > lack of dependencies?
>
> Among other reasons, it simplifies the task of the person overseeing
> an initial installation.  They may not want systemtap as such, merely
> use the "everything that is on this CD" option as a time-saver.

Hi Folks,

To me it is valid to install minus the debuginfo files on almost all
Production hosts.  I am experimenting with developing my scripts off box
with my cache directory set to an exported read-only NFS share which is then
mounted as the module cache directory on my Production boxes, allowing me to
do off box Development and then run scripts on Production hosts without
elaborating, recompiling, etc.

Roll on the day of the 'debuginfo/cache' server but this works for me for
now.

Kind reagrds,

Ken.