Re: Language Reference Guide

On Thursday 19 October 2006 14:19, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Robb Romans <FMJ@us.ibm.com> writes:
> > I have been asked to help put together a Language Reference Guide
> > for SystemTap.  I've taken a suggested table of contents from Jim
> > Keniston and put together a very early version based on existing
> > SystemTap documentation to get feedback from the list. [...]
>
> Perhaps it would be appropriate to expand or reorganize the man page
> (which is clearly the basis of your writeup) in place rather than
> start a brand new document.  (It is easily converted to pdf or html
> or even latex.)

Frank,

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm only a writer, tasked by my customer
(IBM RAS Team). I can't speak for them, but it's my understanding that
they felt a Language Reference Guide would fill a need more easily met
by a separate document in a publication format, rather than a man page.
I am also aware of a competitive pressure in that Dtrace has very
comprehensive documentation available.

As I stated in the OP, existing documentation (such as the man page)
will be the source of information going into the Lang. Ref. That can be
clearly attributed in a bibliography if you like.

By the way, what tool do you mention above to easily convert to/from man
format? I haven't found one and would like to try it.

Regards,
Robb

--
Robb Romans                    (512) 838-0419
Linux Commando                   T/L 678-0419