Re: User-space probes: Plan B+

Jim Keniston wrote:

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 13:14, James Dickens wrote:
[Several valid observations about performance and security]

If Frank and James were the only people we have to please, I guess we
could settle for the kernel-side user-probepoint API, which has been
around in one form or another for months.  Maybe that should be patch #1
for Plan B+.

Jim

Well i don't think it is just Frank or James but more to do with the issues. I think it is clear from the discussion that 10 to 12 times performance overhead of running the handlers in the user space may not be acceptable in many cases hence we have to provide the option to run in the kernel anyway, in that case why not just make that as the first patch.