Can't pass options to kernel build system when building systemtap module?

I used this command to build my Linux kernel:

        make CC=gcc411

When I tried to build a systemtap module, I found no way to pass
the CC option to the kernel build.  The wrong C compiler was used
and the vermagic didn't match, so the module couldn't be used.

Did I miss something?

--
Chuck
 "You can't read a newspaper if you can't read."  --George W. Bush