Re: Customization of LKET

Hi -

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 11:19:37AM +0800, Li Guanglei wrote:
> [...]
> But I have to confess that it seems a waste to introduce such a new
> function into systemtap's translator. It seems too application
> specific. A more generic trace facilities at script level is more
> meaningful.

That's what I was thinking.

> Before we find the final solution, I think I can use a temp solution [...]

It's worth the try.

> I am thinking of revert my changes of lket_trace_extra() to
> translator.

Sure.

> >[...]  The overall size of the context structure may be small
> >enough even with a quadrupled MAXSTRINGLEN for it to work out fine.
> >Test it and see.
>
> I tested using a simple script:

Thank you!

> [...]  it shows that the size of context will increase from 6608 to
> 51408 if MAXSTRINGLEN is defined as 1024. Seems acceptable, right?

My understanding is that a number below 64K is fine.  I expect that we
can have another round of context size reduction with translator
improvements.  One possibility is to have it detect absence of
recursion, to let it compute a minimal MAXNESTING parameter.