Re: Linux Trace terminology - feedback requested

Tim Bird ??:

I'm working on coordinating ...

In LKET, we have some slight differences, listed below:

Here is my first attempt:

 * event - an instruction location or system state at a specific point in time
 * trace point - a location in the traced software, where an event is "emitted"
I called it "probe point". But "trace point" emphasizes more about "tracing".
 * trace log - location where trace data is stored long-term
Does your tracing system use different terms for any of the above?
If so, what are they?

* event hook - refers to the (trace point definition)/(corresponding trace handler) in the *tracing* software for a specific event.

* trace handler(probe handler) - The codes to be executed when a trace point is hit.