Using systemtap to look at futexs

Monday I went to lunch with Gavin Romig-Koch. Gavin works in Red Hat support. While we were talking he mentioned trying to solve a customer problem that appeared to be caused by futex. An attempt was made to use GDB to track futex operations from userspace. However, that really slowed down the machine and never got the to reported problem. Gavin thought that SystemTap might be useful in diagnosing this problem. This morning I wrote a quick script to print out futex information while the system is running. I don't know whether this would identify the specific problem Gavin mentioned.

-Will

# futex.stp
#
# track which things are using futex

probe syscall.futex
{
	printf("pid=%d exec=%s sys_futex(%s)\n", pid(), execname(), argstr)
}

probe syscall.futex.return
{
	printf("pid=%d exec=%s sys_futex()=%s\n", pid(), execname(), retstr)
}