Re: get the mapping of <key, syscallname>

Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:

Li Guanglei <guanglei@cn.ibm.com> writes:

One of my tapsets will log the syscall name got from
CONTEXT->probe_point. [...]

Why not use the "name" variable set by the syscalls tapset?

LKET does not currently use the syscall tapset because it doesnt use the extra information that this tapset collects from each systemcall. In order to improve performance, we keep the system call trace as simple as possible.

[...] I want to log the key of syscall name, and later the
post-processing app in user space will figure out the syscall name
represented by corresponding keys. [...]

As does Martin, I wonder if this is a good place to spend your
optimization energies. Anyway, one possibility is to have the
syscalls tapset also define a system call number variable.

Its not just the string printing that's costly, its also searching the system call name with in CONTEXT->probe_point. Avoiding searching and printing of the syscall string can provide between 3-6% performance improvements on SPECjbb results.