Re: [perfmon] Re: perfmon2 TODO list (4/4)

Hi -

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 02:21:45PM -0700, Stone, Joshua I wrote:
> [...]
> > [...]  During systemtap script compilation, the event names
> > would be translated to low level PMU register configurations.
>
> We need to be careful for the case of pre-compiled or cross-compiled
> modules.  If all of the translation and checks happen at compile time,
> then we'll need to make sure at init time whether we're still on a
> compatible cpu.

The translator could cross-compile for several alternative cpu
flavours (all within an architecture, or selected ones identified by
the user, like a "fat" executable).  The module would pick the
appropriate PMU configuration set one during initialization time, or
else abort.

> If we can delay this until runtime, it could still be managed in
> user-mode via the stpd daemon [...]

That is an alternate possibility, one somewhat less preferable.