RE: Proposed systemtap access to perfmon hardware

Maynard Johnson wrote:
> William Cohen wrote:
>> The individual start and stop operations would be allowed.
> This is not so good.  Besides the fact that it may be difficult (or
> impossible) to do, I don't see it being all that useful.  But then,
> I'm a tool developer, not a performance analyst, so I could be
> missing the point.

Enabling start & stop lets you narrow the context that you want to
measure.  Perfmon can only give you thread level virtualization of the
counters.  With start & stop I can, for example, start the counters when
I enter sys_open and stop when I return.  Now if I want I can get a
microbenchmark of IPC for the sys_open call (and its callees).

But this also opens up possibilities for more obscure "contexts" -
perhaps I want to start counting when a network packet is received and
stop when it is delivered to the thread.  Any probepoint you can do
today can become a start/stop point for the counters.

Josh