Re: [3/3] Userspace probes prototype-take2

Yanmin,

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 11:32:31AM +0800, Zhang, Yanmin wrote:
> [...]
.
Yes, I am trying to seperate out kprobes_handlers and uprobe_handlers
since user space probe handlers can preempt and might sleep. also given
that we might preempt, we cannot reuse the kprobe_handlers() that use rcu.
My next take will address this issues.

> Considering signal action handler (possible uprobe nested), a thread might have a list of uprobe_page.

Yes, reentrancy in this situation also need to be handled.

> b) Delete current_uprobe;

> [YM] We could resolve this problem.
> a) Don't call replace_orignal_insn in function uprobe_single_step. It might cause a race condition.
> b) Delete copy_insn_on_new_page;
> c) Merge copy_insn_onstack and copy_insn_onexpstack. The single-step-insn address could be esp-sizeof(long long)-MAX_INSN_SIZE*sizeof(kprobe_opcode_t).
This can be done.
> d) If the stack couldn't be expanded, just kill the thread. It's reasonable because the stack is used up.

We need to take a closer look at this issue

--
Prasanna S Panchamukhi
Linux Technology Center