Re: Evaluating SystemTap for Network Response Times

Hi Nathan,

I think what you are trying to achieve could be done with systemtap. I wrote a small script to monitor the tcp traffic a while back (see URL below)
http://sourceware.org/ml/systemtap/2005-q4/msg00302.html

What type of record keeping do have in mind? I am sure that someone on the systemtap team want to hear it.

Thanks, Hien.

Nathan DeBardeleben wrote:

I'm looking at using SystemTap and/or [dj/k]probes to time network operations inside the kernel. Specifically, we want to time the point when a socket send operation leaves user space, entering kernel space, down to the point where the kernel says "it's done, sent". Obviously this may involve fragmentation of packets so we'd need some way to keep track that these N fragments came from this initial operation, and as they close up, we know we're not completely done until all fragments are done.

Initially this looks just like the kind of thing I could do with SystemTap but I worry that the scripting language will be too restrictive to allow me to allocate these types of data structures to do record keeping. When it comes down to it - I want to observe a system and recognize outliers ("hey, this operation took 20 times longer than the rest") through statistical means.

I was hoping I could get some feedback from the SystemTap users/developers as to whether (1) this seems feasible, (2) SystemTap seems like the appropriate tool, and (3) perhaps if anyone is aware of similar projects.

I will be experimenting with this in a parallel computing environment and with single system image tools such as bproc and the brand new XCPU. I hope I can add some value to the SystemTap community by testing it out in these environments. If this first step goes well, I will be looking at using SystemTap for monitoring parallel file systems and studying potential performance bottlenecks.

Thanks for your time.