Re: Fw: Introducing power performance counter contacts

Maynard Johnson wrote:
I've read through the SystemTap documentation a couple of times, trying to absorb the concepts as best I can. I have a few thoughts. Go ahead and throw fireballs back at me if I misconstrue anything -- which I'm sure I will since I've probably just skimmed the surface of what you folks have been doing.

The ProfileTapset.txt file was of great interest to me as it seems the intent is to provide a generalized, cross-platform mechanism for interfacing with arbitrary PMUs that could be used by various existing (and future) performance tools. However, it seems to me there's a fundamental mismatch between SystemTap and performance tools; i.e., SystemTap seems geared towards more of an adhoc usage model whereas (existing) performance tools API requirements are well-known.

In one section of the ProfileTapset document, there was mention of the current activity involving a possible merge of Perfmon and PerfCtr with the intent of getting a generalized PMU interface into the mainline kernel. It's not clear to me whether this SystemTap/Profiling project would somehow build on that interface or replace it. Could someone clarify the intent?

In the same section of the document, it's stated that "both pmu libraries [perfmon and perfctr] are geared more for user->kernel access rather than kernel->kernel access and we will need to see what can be EXPORT()'ed to make it more kernel module friendly". Does this imply that all the knowledge of how to program the PMUs would be pushed down into the kernel with a SystemTap solution? If so, there would need to be a way for performance tools to obtain that knowledge to present to the user all of the arch-specific events and profiling options.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I digest the information and get more details from you all.

Thanks.
Maynard

Maynard Johnson LTC Power Linux Toolchain 507-253-2650

----- Forwarded by Maynard Johnson/Rochester/IBM on 06/30/2005 04:32 PM
-----
prasadav@us.ltcfw d.linux.ibm.com To 06/30/2005 10:23 "Chen, Brad" <brad.chen@intel.com>, AM "Spirakis, Charles" <charles.spirakis@intel.com>, William Cohen <wcohen@redhat.com>, dwg@au1.ibm.com, Maynard Johnson/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, Jeffrey Scheel/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, Bill Buros/Austin/IBM@IBMUS cc Geoff Smith/Beaverton/IBM@IBMUS, SystemTAP <systemtap@sources.redhat.com> Subject Introducing power performance counter contacts

I would like to Introduce Maynard Johnson: He is the contact for PAPI, his area of expertise is mostly in the user space. David Gibson: He is the main IBM contact for perfctr. Bill Buros: Lead for the performance team on Power platform. Jeff Scheel: He is the overall architect for Linux On Power.

For the benefit of David/Maynard/Bill and Jeff, i will introduce others
in the To list

Will Cohen: He is the maintainer of Oprofile and he is heavily involved
in SystemTAP.

Brad Chen: He is the overall lead from Intel in the SystemTAP project.

Charles Spirakis: Charles is looking at the performance counter issue
along with Will in the systemtap project, charles has experience with
vtune project.

SystemTAP home page can be found at http://sourceware.org/systemtap/
The home page has links to the mailing lists and all the other project
related documents.

Please let me know if i can be of any more help for all of you to make
progress on the performance counters work.

Thanks,
Vara Prasad