variables in scopes

I'll soon start looking into adding code to libdw to access variables
visible at a given address.  One thing I want to implement is to allow
accessing shadowed variables.  It always bothered me that gdb cannot do
it (directly) but at least it is possible if one manually climbs the
frames down.

For systemtap this is different.  So we need a syntax for this.  Any
suggestions?  I imagine that something like

  @var\2@

could mean 'var' at least two levels/scopes up.  Is this an OK
interface?  I don't necessarily mean the syntax, but using a numeric to
mean "at least N levels up".

Alternatives would be something like

  @var\fct\2@

meaning "at least two levels down in the scope of function fct".

I'm open for suggestions.

--
â Ulrich Drepper â Red Hat, Inc. â 444 Castro St â Mountain View, CA â