Re: architecture paper draft

Hi -

> 1) You have a box labelled "probe kernel object". I know that the kprobes
> patch that's been accepted by Linux and Andrew only supports kernel object
> probing, but the full patch allows for system-wide probing i.e. includes
> user-space.  [...]

The diagram is misleading you.  By "kernel object", I am referring to
the ".ko" file that results from translating/compiling the input script.
Whether that script relates to kernel or user space is independent
of this.

(For what it's worth, I'm still hoping for greater expertise to
make itself known on the subject of use of copy_from_user and its
kin from arbitrary kprobes contexts, to provide safety guarantees.)

> 2) I think there is an additional final step in the flow: "automated
> reduction/analysis". There will be occasions where post-tracing data
> reduction has to be automated and tools or even extensions to systemTAP
> will be built to meet this need.

Do you envision specific systemtap code for this?  What would it do?
Or would it be a separate third-party program?