--gdb and --persistent

Hi,

Currently, specifying the --gdb option for SID also results in the application of the --persistent option. There is currently no way to remotely stop the SID process when it is persistent, other than killing the process.

I have a customer who would like to have control over this behaviour. i.e. he would like SID to die when GDB does. The best scenario would be if there is some GDB remote protocal packet that gets sent to the target when GDB terminates (as opposed to when it detaches as the program ends). Is there such a packet?

If not, some options for improving this are:

1) Do not apply --persistent automatically when --gdb is specified. The current behavior could still be achieved by specifying --persistent explicitely.
2) Add a --no-persistent option which could be specified to cancel the effect of the implied --persistent.

I prefer option 1), although it could have an effect on existing scripts, etc. which run sid.

Other options, ideas?

Dave