Re: gprof store and reset pins

Hi -

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 12:41:14PM -0700, Nikola Valerjev wrote:
> [...]
> I've been trying to use gdb and gprof components in 'sid' to get the profiling
> information out. [...]

I'm glad to hear it!

> What I would like to do is get gmon.out dumped while still being connected.
> Also I would like to have some way of reseting the gprof info (driving the
> 'reset' pin) on demand [...]

Since both these signals are carried over generic sid pins, any mechanism
at all that can result in pin events at times of your pleasure will work.
Among them:
- time-based scheduler events (host or target)
- hard-wired connection between the "save" and "reset" pins, probably
  through a hw-glue-sequence; hmm, finding a way of automatically changing
  the profiling data file name might be nice
- socket or console input
- memory-mapped I/O (mapping hw-glue-probe-bus components into memory,
  connecting one of its output lines to the pin of your choice)
- using the gdb "monitor set COMPONENT ATTRIBUTE VALUE" command to
  pass the "set ..." configuration line to cfgroot, thence to COMPONENT.
  Consider COMPONENT=gprof, ATTRIBUTE=reset or save, VALUE=1, recalling
  that most pins may be alternately driven using attribute-related calls.
- using the gprof component's own pc-limit-range attributes to automatically
  limit its focus to a certain span of PC values.

- FChE