Running the hello.c example

Hi all,

First of all I've got really impressed when I saw this tools avaiable on
RedHat website. Such thing to explore different design choices for
embedded systems is very much valuable for both industry and academic
(where I am in) environments.

Second of all, I've downloaded the source code using cvs and compiled it
successfully. As a starting point I'm trying to execute the simple hello.c
example described in the FAQ webpage and I'm facing some problems as
follows.

If I try to execute exacly as described in the website I get the following
errors:

% arm-elf-gcc -EL hello.c -o hello.x

arm-elf-gcc: unrecognized option `-EL'
/tools/H-i686-pc-linux-gnu/arm-elf/bin/ld: cannot open crt0.o: No such
file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If I remove the 'L' option and add -I/usr/include and execute the command
as follows:

% arm-elf-gcc -I/usr/include -E hello.c -o hello.x

it works fine and generate the hello.x file, which is post-preprocessing
version of the file hello.c (which I thought it was weird since as far as
I understood I need the executatble version, isn't it?).

Anyways, It turns out to does not work. When trying arm-elf-sid I get the
following:

% arm-elf-sid hello.x
loader: error loading hello.x

What am I missing?

My main goal is to be able to execute RedHat eCos. Any pointers in this
direction?

Thanks a lot,
Cristiano.

Cristiano Ligieri Pereira - http://www.ics.uci.edu/~cpereira