question about configure

hi all,

I will simulate some applications for arm7 in my
redhat linux box, and I am confused when compiling
sid. I remember when building gcc and binutils for
arm, I use --target=arm-elf when running configure as
below:

../src/configure  --target=arm-elf

My question is if I need --target=arm-elf when
compiling sid, I think sid is only an simulator
running in linux, it will not create any code for arm
cpu, but the configure for sid have the --target
parameter, what it is used for?

I have tried building sid with --target=arm-elf and
without this parameter, all can complete.

thanks,

YM