Re: using sgmltools-lite-3.0.0.

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Marc Andre Selig wrote:

> Lambert van Eijck writes in message
> <Pine.LNX.4.21.0007170902580.3368-100000@irijsf.iri.tudelft.nl>:
>
> > Okay, I just did exactly what you wrote, but still I get the same error
> > message.
>
> [which was: "Couldn't resolve pubid [%s]"]
>
> Well, but now you should have a file /etc/sgml/catalog, containing all
> necessary catalogues, or you should be able to generate one if you put
> links to your catalogues in /etc/sgml and run buildcat.

In my previous installation attempts I used to have a directory
/usr/local/share/sgmltools. This one I deleted before reinstalling (just
as I deleted the /etc/sgml directory). It's not reinstalled after 'make
install'.
The only file in /etc/sgml is aliases.new . I found a directory
/usr/lib/sgml and /usr/lib/sgml-tools. The timestamps were from last year
so I deleted these too, before doing a new install. These were probably
leftovers from all other things I've tried.

So now, the system is _really_ free of previous 'sgml-things'. I also
deleted the 'ginstall' entry in the config.cache of the source. There is
no 'ginstall' on my system.

After the './configure' and 'make install' things are put in:

/usr/local/bin
/usr/local/share/sgml
/usr/local/man

The aliases are again put in the FILE /etc/sgml. Moved this aliases file
to /etc/sgml/aliases. There is (of course) no catalog file in this
directory.

There is a catalog file in /usr/local/share/sgml/dtd/sgmltools, but if I
link all the files of this directory to /etc/sgml and then 'buildcat' it
there is an error in the python script:

bash# buildcat
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/buildcat", line 65, in ?
    assert os.path.isdir(ETCSGMLCATDIR)
AssertionError
bash#

And there is no env.var. SGML_CA.... . Shouldn't there be an INSTALL file
in the distribution, running through all these steps? The installation
doesn't make all the neccesary steps and I don't want to bother you with
my silly questions.

In my opinion the installation script should include the 'buildcat', so
that the standard dumb user (like me ;) ) can start with the standard
dtd-s. And maybe the env-variable should also be added.

I'd like to pose some more of my 'stupid user complaint', but only to make
the package more installation-friendly, not as a real complaint. I think
sgmltools is a good idea!

What to do next?

regards,

Lambert